Hints for Contacting Your Elected Officials
• Use the following websites to determine U.S. Congressional Representatives and Senators for your team’s geographical areas. Don’t forget your local elected officials also.
• Contact the Washington offices plus the District (House of Representatives) offices and State offices (Senators).
• E-mails or Faxes are the only way to communicate since postal service mail is a problem due to security concerns.
• Write “ATTN Scheduler” in the subject line of the email, or in the upper right hand corner of the letter, if faxed.
• Address the official as “To the Honorable Joe Smith “
• Invite your Congressional representatives to visit your team’s schools, Regional events and the Championship, summer camps and workshops.
• Please do not ask for funding or solicit contributions in your invitation letters.
• U. S. House of Representatives: http://www.house.gov/writerep/
• U. S. Senate: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
• Another website that is helpful is with the Library of Congress: http://thomas.loc.gov/
• An additional website is the U.S. Government’s official website, FirstGov.gov, http://www.firstgov.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml
Getting your Team into the Congressional Record:
• Teams could also write 1-2 paragraphs about FIRST and the team. The team could ask if the elected official would honor your team by inserting this information into the Congressional Record. This is a favor that your team is asking.
Written April 2006 for NEMO. Updated January 8, 2007. Thanks to Mildred Porter, former Regional Director, for updated material.